Monday, November 28, 2022

Building a provincial Roman villa for Clash of Spears

I really enjoy making terrain, as should be evident from this blog. Since starting the Clash of Spears campaign I've assembled and painted figures, fought battles, and written stories and reports. But I've not yet made any terrain.

That's about to change.

I've decided that a provincial Roman villa is a great place to start. Sarissa makes one, and I've based my initial sketches on their design.




It's a pretty basic construction of a two-story U-shaped structure with a pair of covered porches at the entrances.

I also found some other images on the Internet showing different variations, though all seem to share certain common characteristics, such as the sloped roof and covered entryways.






Based on that research, I went back to my sketchpad to see if I could design something that wasn't an exact duplicate of the Sarissa model.

After some more doodling, I decided on making a couple of variations. One would consist of separate buildings that could be arranged in various configurations, so it could be different every time.
 


The other would be a little smaller than the Sarissa design, and keep some features from it as well as incorporate some from the other reference images I found. It will have a fixed footprint.



And, by using all the structures I plan to build on the same table, I can represent the central villa and various outbuildings of a more prosperous estate.

The next decision is whether or not to make the interiors playable, this is, to make the roofs fixed or removable. In basic Clash of Spears, buildings are impassable terrain so there's no need to worry about being able to place figures inside the structure.

Though I've generally leaned towards removable roofs in the past for versatility, in this instance I think I'll make the buildings one piece. This will be much easier, will make the structures stronger, and make them look better. In any case, the roofs are the last parts to finish so I've got plenty of time to change my mind.

'Til next time!





No comments: