Monday, October 17, 2022

The awesomeness of history: Vikings vs. Moors - Yes, it really happened!

I love wargaming. And I love history.

So when I stumble upon a little nugget of history that would make for great wargaming, well, the inner geek in me totally loses his mind.

That happened yesterday, and I am really excited to see where this leads.

Along with building a Carthaginian Army for the 2022/2023 Clash of Spears campaign (more on that in later posts!), I am currently researching the Reconquista - the "reconquering" of Spain by the northern Christian kingdoms from the Moors who invaded the peninsula in 711 AD. There is an informal group of gamers looking to create a beta for Clash of Spears set during the time of the Crusades, including the conflict in Spain.

As part of my research I am reading books (both history and fiction), delving into the epic of El Cid (and finding out what parts might be real and which are just legend), listening to podcasts about the era, etc.

And yesterday I learned about one of those events that makes the history geek and the wargaming geek in me both go weak at the knees - the Viking raid on Išbīliya (Moorish Seville) in Al-Andalus in 844 AD.

The Vikings had apparently landed in northern Iberia and plundered the kingdom of Asturias, but suffered heavy losses in battle with the forces of Ramiro I. They then moved around the coast of the Iberian peninsula, heading south, until they reached the Guadalquivir River, which they navigated up to Seville.

Map showing the Viking raids

Long story short, the Vikings attacked Seville, were victorious, and looted and plundered for many days. The Emir of Cordoba,  Abd al-Rahman II, dispatched an army to deal with the Vikings, and several other Muslim leaders sent forces to assist despite their rivalry with al-Rahman. They could see the threat posed by the raging Northerners, and united to defeat a common foe.

Musa ibn Musa al-Qasi, one of the Muslim commanders who fought the Vikings.

In the days after the arrival of the Moor army there were many clashes, with varying outcomes. Eventually, however, the Muslims won a major victory over the (more recent) invaders. Accounts say the Moors used Greek fire and cavalry to great effect, and sent the Vikings fleeing.

As I read and listened to the details about this battle, I had two thoughts. First, how had I not learned about this sooner! And second, how can I recreate this battle on the tabletop.

Saga currently has rules for both Viking and Spanish Moors in different supplements. I am not sure if the forces are balanced across the game, or just with other factions in the same supplement.

The other option is to use Clash of Spears. I know that the Dark Ages supplement for Clash is due sometime in 2023, and as previously mentioned there is a fan-led effort to put together a Reconquista Clash. That would give me time to build and paint my forces (I am notoriously slow at getting models ready to game). I do currently have some Vikings for my Saga army that are painted and ready, but I have not yet started my Reconquista Moors (or Christian forces either for that matter).

Regardless, the prospect of fighting a Moors vs Vikings battle that is historically accurate (!) has me salivating.  So now, in addition to the plethora of other projects that I am in the middle of, I am adding one more. What else is new?

'Til next time!

No comments: