Thursday, January 26, 2012

My 2012 Resolution - Prioritizing

The next step in accomplishing my 2012 resolutions - prioritizing!

Prioritizing my gaming "to-do" list is, for me, an important part of being more organized, and thus getting more gaming stuff done, in 2012. I've broken it down by priority and gaming system to give it some structure. I know, for many of you this will seem way too obsessive-compulsive. But I need to try it this way for it to work, for me. I keep a spreadsheet on Google docs. Here's a screenshot:

Projects Spreadsheet  

The priority level for each task, with the exception of the highest priority, are more suggestions to myself, based on what I want to do next at this moment. They are subject to change as I move from game to game during the year, or as I get bored (which will happen) and want to try a new challenge. The highest priority I am leaving for things that are non-negotiable, for example organizing my workspace, or things that I want to do regularly around my other activities, such as painting figures with the kids.

The status field for each project is to motivate me to get them to the 100% complete level. By the end of the year, I'd like to see nearly every entry here (or at least a good chunk of them), at 100%.

My hope is that this system keeps me focused on a project long enough to get it done before I move on. At the same time, I think having the whole list available will enable me to look forward to what I might want to do next... Of course, I will share my progress (or lack thereof) on the blog.

'Til next time!

1 comment:

VolleyFireWargames said...

Spreadsheets !!!!!!!!!!!! what is this corporate skulllduggery afoot in the game room - arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh is nothing sacred. Alas I have done it too to keep track of what units we have for upcoming French Revolutionary war in Italy games. I guess in the end its all about bookeeping in any army. Even for Pirates and their loot. Glad to see Pirates are there but wish they were a bit higher on the list. Did you know that Warhammer folks wrote the Black Powder rules I have been looking at and slowing deciohering - anyway i have some ideas and terrain for some smaller Pirate games when your spreadsheet allows it signed Capt, Moody. BTW Siege of Augusta was fun your kids would have enjoyed it! MAYBE next year bring the family.(the election will be over by then)